Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Kilimanjaro National Park

A few weeks ago, I took the opportunity to travel to the base of Mount Kilimanjaro. A group of us hiked around the base exploring some waterfalls and entertaining ourselves with the locals. Many of the sites to see at the base of Mount Kilimanjaro can be seen without paying anything because it is technically not in the park. But many locals use this to their advantage and claim that one should have a guide when exploring the base of the mountain. Despite our repeated insistence that we didn't want a guide, a couple of guys followed us in our exploration anyway. 








Apparently this is a famous waterfall. If you look at the top of it there is a statue of a woman standing there. I don't know what that means, but I think its important.




Since we had the pleasure of having a guide tag along on our exploration, I suggested that he jump into the river that I am looking at. He actually did it... TWICE. It was actually so good that I ended up paying him (I told myself previously that I would not pay for a guide). I think that's what he wanted anyway. In fact, I KNOW that's what he wanted.











This was our little group that went up with me. If you want to hike Kili, this is where you start!

















Its my dream to hike Kilimanjaro. I am not able to go this time, but one day I will be back at this place!

2 comments:

  1. THIS IS SO COOL! : ) I am glad you have a blog so I can read all of your adventures!

    ReplyDelete