Saturday, May 14, 2011

I'm here!

So I've arrived in Tanzania. It feels great to be back in Africa again. A lot of the same memories come back from when I was living in Kenya.
This past week we have spend a lot of time doing a needs assessment of the area. We have made a few contacts with some orphanages and and schools, and have made some plans on what kind of projects we want to do while in country. Our main focus is to do projects that will be sustainable and not encourage dependency. We want projects to continue long after we are gone. Some of the ideas we have had are helping a few schools and orphanages be self-sustaining through starting some sort of business. Running a pig or chicken farm will help those we are working with may raise the funds they need to support their schools or orphanages.We are still in the planning phases of exactly what we want to do, but the projects will be developed soon! I'm excited to get started and help teach the people business skills so that potential businesses that may be created will be successful.
I don't have any pictures posted yet, but they are coming. Stay tuned for those!!!

4 comments:

  1. Can you please get a picture of a lion in the mix of doing all your good there?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure thing Tim. I'll do my best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Matt... this makes me want to be a young student again back at the Y so I can be involved in doing such great things. When I was a teenager I became friends with a catholic priest back in Brooklyn who was a native of Uganda. He knew that I aspired to go to Africa as a missionary so he took me to the Maryknoll Seminary in Ossining, NY where they wanted to recruit me to go to Africa as a catholic missionary. Well, I did the missionary thing but it wasn't as a catholic and it wasn't in Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Matt, I think you are awesome! You are making a difference. I'll look forward to seeing more about your success. Stay safe.

    Aaron

    ReplyDelete